This is a panoramic of Mummy Cave, taken at sunset. Mummy cave is located at the end of Canyon del Muerto, left fork of Canyon de Chelly.
The ruin take it's name from two mummified bodies, found still wrapped in yucca plant fiber, by an archaeological expedition in 1882.
For nearly 5,000 years, people have used the towering sandstone walls of Canyon de Chelly as a place for campsites, shelters, and permanent homes.
Managed through a partnership between the National Park Service and the Navajo Nation and located on Navajo Trust Land, Canyon de Chelly (pronounced d’SHAY) National Monument represents one of the longest continuously inhabited landscapes of North America.
The largest preserved village in Canyon de Chelly is Mummy Cave.